AAP Primadomus is restructuring its Communications team to build a strategic and effective communications plan for the coming years. Are you an experienced communications professional looking for new challenges in your career? Do you have an eye for opportunities and have a strategic mind? Do you want to use these skills to help animals? Then you might be the right addition to our team!
Animal Advocacy and Protection (AAP) is a European animal welfare organization with headquarters in The Netherlands. AAP is committed to a better future for exotic mammals in Europe. Every day millions of exotic mammals are illegally trafficked, kept as pets or abused in circuses and other forms of entertainment. This causes an unimaginable amount of animal suffering. In our rescue centres in Almere (The Netherlands) and Villena (Alicante, Spain) we take care of animals in need. With us they can heal both physically and mentally from their past, and be “animals” again. Once they have recovered, we look for a good home for them where they can stay forever, such as an animal park or a reserve that must of course meet strict welfare requirements. But rescue alone is not enough: the number of animals in need is often higher than the number of available shelter places. We therefore simultaneously campaign and advocate for better legislation for exotic animals across Europe, calling on national- and EU level decision-makers for policies such as bans on the use of wild animals in circuses and Positive Lists of pets and hobby animals. Because only by tackling the causes can animal suffering really be prevented.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Press Officer and Senior Communications Advisor who will actively contribute to the realization of our medium and long-term goals by generating visibility for AAP Primadomus and our work among our main target groups in Spain. You will report to the Director of AAP Primadomus and will work closely with the Communications-, Public Policy- and Fundraising teams in Spain and The Netherlands.
What do we offer?
– A challenging and unique position in an inspiring and international working environment;
– An exciting opportunity to make AAP’s work visible in Spain and contribute to the improvement of animal welfare in Spain and Europe;
– A professional work environment that encourages and supports dedication, accessibility and vigorousness;
– Remote working will be considered for the right candidate (although you will be required to work some days onsite);
– Permanent contract preceded by a temporary contract;
– Salary between € 1,437.00 and € 1,837.00 gross per month x 14 payments (based on 32 hours) depending on relevant work experience;
– Possibility of annual raise according to performance and development;
– 17,6 Days’ holiday per year;
– A study budget each year of 1,5% of your basic gross annual salary;
– A personal allowance of € 320.00 net per year as compensation for the costs of tickets (such as flight/trains) for personal reasons.
What are your responsibilities?
– Translate (mid-term) communication goals into SMART action plans;
– Create positive PR and free publicity for AAP Spain and monthly report on results;
– Write press releases, (public policy) items for social media and website;
– Build and maintain a relevant media network and maintain contacts with (inter)national press;
– Look for opportunities in the media and act proactively on them;
– Advise and support the management team and other employees with press contacts and publicity-sensitive topics;
– Give support in media appearances and, where necessary, act as spokesperson;
– Identify and, where necessary, actively respond to developments/issues in society that may have an impact on the organization;
– Design and implement the (social) media strategy;
– Develop and implement communication projects and campaigns;
– Organize and conduct press conferences;
– Hire and brief PR offices, film crews, photographers, and coordinate film productions.
What do you bring?
– Higher educational and/or working level in communications or journalism;
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Spanish is your mother tongue and you have strong English verbal and written skills. (Writing skills will be tested during the interview);
– At least 5 years of experience as a press officer and communication advisor in Spain;
– Knowledge of the media landscape, including the use of social media;
– Experience in drafting media strategies and communication plans;
– You are a quick learner and are willing to gain knowledge on exotic mammal-related issues on illegal trade, private ownership and use in entertainment;
– Competences: can-do mentality, analytical, highly organized, good planning skills, creative, eye for opportunities;
– Excellent people skills to interact with internal and external parties. Team player;
– Having a relevant media network in Spain is a plus.
– Preferably working experience in the NGO sector and/or animal welfare.
Do you want more information or apply directly?
Do you like what you read, but still have some questions? Please send an email (in English) to Marta Merchan, Director AAP Primadomus, on firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information take a look at our website www.aap-primadomus.org and follow our stories on social media!
Send your application letter and CV before the 5th of April to https://stichtingaap.onlinevacatures.nl/job/181462/apply, attn. Elly Koppers, team manager Human Resources.
A practical assessment will be part of the application process.
Please be aware that your application letter and CV must be in English and the selection process will be conducted in English.