Médecins Sans Frontières Spain – OCBA (Operational Centre Barcelona-Athens) is looking for a head of the Creative Content Unit
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of
The MSF movement is built around six operational directorates supported by MSF’s 23 sections, 18 offices worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Communication Department.
The Creative Content is a Unit within the Communications Department made up of a multimedia project manager, three audio-visual officers, two production officers, an editor, and a graphic motion designer. The Unit ensures the production of high-quality multimedia contents (in English and Spanish; at times in Arabic and other languages) to maximize the organizations’ capacity to engage audiences about humanitarian crises and MSF projects both through MSF’s own channels and external media.
The Head of the Creative Content Unit manages the unit and provides leadership and strategic direction to OCBA’s multimedia production (photo, video, graphic design, motion graphics, audio, etc.). S/he holds strong team management skills to lead, support, supervise and manage the Unit’s team and possess the talent and aptitude to stimulate the spirit and capacity for creative thinking.
S/he leads the Creative Content team to ensure a fluid commissioning, production, delivery and monitoring of audio-visual and other multimedia contents such as:
S/he develops and maintains policies and standards for audio-visual contents on different formats and makes sure these policies and standards are always applied to safeguard MSF’s ethical and quality requirements, as well as corporate identity.
S/he works in close collaboration with the different units in the Communications Department, i.e. Operational Communications, the Media Unit, Digital Unit and Public Engagement Unit, as well as with other departments in the organization requiring strategic support and advice to produce multimedia contents, notably the Fundraising Department.
S/he provides professional advice and guidance within MSF-OCBA on multimedia content production and actively contributes to building capacity of field teams to produce impactful creative content.
S/he is accountable to the Communications Director.
1. Strategy and planning:
• Lead and propose a strategic vision for OCBA’s creative content production;
• Identify, propose and develop strategies and formats to maximize engagement and impact of MSF’s external communications;
• Lead the definition of the Unit’s annual plan, monitor its implementation and ensure strategic objectives are met;
• Define, manage and monitor the Creative Content Unit’s budget and expenses/investments to optimize resources;
• Maintain an overview of the needs and requests from the Communications Department as well as from the rest of the organization in order to identify and set the priorities of the Creative Content Unit;
• Stimulate the spirit and capacity for creative thinking, monitor external trends/innovation, foresee future needs and generate capacity to fulfil future institutional challenges;
• Elaborate comprehensive statistics and reports based on analytics to identify risks, opportunities and priorities for OCBA’s audio visual strategies, and take part in cross-cutting impact analyses and accountability exercises;
• Organize visits by the creative content team members to MSF projects to gather audio-visual content or, when relevant, contract external camera persons or film crews.
2. Team management:
• Supervise team members in the Creative Content Unit, oversee their daily activities and long-term objectives;
• Organize the work and production planning of the team, support team members to ensure the achievement of identified priorities;
• Organize and chair weekly team meetings and bi-laterals with each member;
• Define job descriptions in the Creative Content Unit to be validated by HR Department, take part in the recruitment process of the Unit’s team members and support their professional development;
• Conduct evaluations and, if needed, propose corrective measures to guarantee quality and standards;
• Guarantee the Unit’s performance during holidays, sick leaves or else;
• Identify audio-visual training needs within OCBA communications staff (both HQ and field) and, occasionally, organize internal training / briefing sessions.
3. Creative projects and digital content:
• Oversee and ensure the design and implementation of creative contents on MSF-OCBA’s medical humanitarian activities in coordination with the Operational Communication Unit;
• Propose, design and oversee larger creative projects, based on MSF-OCBA communications priorities, involving multidisciplinary teams and external providers or resources, in including dissemination strategies;
• Ensure photo, video, multimedia, motion graphics, and offline production, and actively contribute to audience identification, definition of key messages, tactics and tools in order to optimize production and dissemination for external outreach;
• Ensure MSF-OCBA’s production is “digital-first” and engaging for use on digital media and MSF’s own social media channels;
• Ensure coordination with the Content Ideation platform which involves representatives from several communications and fundraising units and proposes contents and a weekly editorial calendar.
4. Coordination and standards:
• Meet regularly with the Heads of the different Units in the Communications Department to coordinate production of online and offline contents;
• Maintain fluid communications with other departments, notably the Fundraising department, to oversee production of external contents;
• Participate in MSF’s international audio-visual working group, and coordinate with audio-visual managers/teams in other MSF operational centres and offices, in particular in regional hubs;
• Ensure sign-off of contents before release;
• Advise on content needs and supervise the commissioning, contracting and briefing of external photographers, videographers or producers assigned by the organization on specific projects and signoff contracts with all external providers;
• Provide professional support and training to field communications staff on multimedia content production and contribute to building capacity of field teams to produce audiovisual contents, including user generated contents;
• Oversee the development and implementation of policies and standards, including quality standards, for video, photo, multimedia and written contents; MSF’s branding guidelines and corporate identity, as well as content production guidelines, ethics, GDPR compliance, usage rights (legal and quality control);
• Actively contribute to MSF-OCBA’s efforts to ensure our content production is diverse, equitable and inclusive, and represents patients, staff and humanitarian crises in general in an ethical, respectful and non-discriminatory manner.
• Degree / background in audio-visual, communications, journalism;
• At least 6 years of experience in professional production and edition of creative contents and/or news editing or similar relevant experience;
• Outstanding people management skills and proven experience in leading and motivating a multidisciplinary team;
• Strong management skills in the media, multimedia, digital, production sector;
• Eagerness to take initiatives, innovate and explore new formats;
• Experience developing audio-visual strategies within a large and complex organisation;
• Experience managing complex creative projects including with external contractors;
• Experience managing a budget;
• Good command of English and working knowledge of Spanish; French and or Arabic an asset;
• Previous experience in the international humanitarian sector an advantage;
• Flexibility and ability to work under tight deadlines;
• Availability to work outside office hours when required.
• Team management.
• Planning and Organising.
• Strategic vision.
• Initiative and Innovation.
• Service orientation.
• Quality and Results orientation.
• Cross-cultural Awareness and Flexibility.
• Networking and Building Relationships.
• Position based in Barcelona with availability to travel to insecure contexts with short notice (less than 10% of the time).
• Full-time job.
• Minimum commitment with the position of 3 years.
• Annual Gross Salary: level HQ-4C – 43,932.48 € (divided in 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy. Subjected to local conditions.
• Starting date: as soon as possible.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter: https://careers.msf-applications.org/job-invite/7132/
Closing date: September 25th, 2022, 23:59 CET (Central European Time)
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in thehumanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.